Home | Badger badger = new Badger() » | Busy, busy little bee » | My mother always wanted a girl » | Things to do... » | A world fit for heroes » | We interrupt your regular program... » | Shelf get! » | Escape Vector » | Infinite State Automaton » | A booty witch and red » 

Monday, June 2, 2008 

Lern2English

“English essentials: The wouldn’t-be-without-it guide to writing well,” Mem Fox & Lyn Wilkinson.
“Middle School English,” Maureen Stewart.

By necessity I’ve sat down with these two books and started re-learning English grammar.

Today I have learned about verbs, adverbs, common nouns, abstract nouns, pronouns, conjunctions, articles and where apostrophes are supposed to go. There is at least one reader of my blog who will be maddeningly satisfied to know I will finally spell Australians correctly from now on. Still not sold on photos, though; however I’m only half way through the first book.

Chris enthusiastically consumed the delicious bacon and ice cream cheese cake!

Chris – proper noun!
Enthusiastically – Adverb!
Consumed – verb!
The – The definite article!
Delicious – adjective!
Bacon – noun!
And – conjunction!
Ice cream – noun!
Cheese cake – noun!

Is there anything wrong with this sentence and what I have broken it up to? Please tell me. No, really, please tell me. A six million dollar contract is riding on my ability to know proper English grammar.

I met Mem Fox at the Millicent Public Library when I was a young child, where she read the delightful Possum Magic, arguably the definitive childrens book.

(Edit edit: Actually, I didn't have an apostrophe for childrens. Then I read another chapter, and it said zomg put an apostrophe there. So I did! Then I read another chapter and it said "Lol nub, in this circumstance, no apostrophe!" So, right now there is no apostrophe, but maybe in a chapter that will change again T_T)

Why is Possum Magic such an excellent book? Well, it's all about a baby possum travelling all over Australia eating delicious foods to turn herself back from being invisible. Yes, long before Harry Potter was cool, Hush the baby possum was munching down on Vegemite sandwiches, lamingtons, pavlova and even more.

For me to then come across another book written by Mem Fox all these years later, then, was a pleasant surprise.

"Chris enthusiastically consumed the delicious bacon and ice cream cheese cake!"

Grammatically, there is nothing incorrect here that I can see. However, there are parts of its meaning that are ambiguous. Did Chris consume some bacon and then eat an ice cream cheese cake? Odd meal, but both foods mentioned are quite delicious, though in clashing ways. Or perhaps he consumed a bacon-and-ice-cream cheese cake. That sounds disgusting. I love bacon, and I love ice cream, and cheese cake is okay, but all three together sounds horrible.

"I met Mem Fox at the Millicent Public Library when I was a young child, where she read the delightful Possum Magic, arguably the definitive childrens book.

(Edit edit: Actually, I didn't have an apostrophe for childrens. Then I read another chapter, and it said zomg put an apostrophe there. So I did! Then I read another chapter and it said "Lol nub, in this circumstance, no apostrophe!" So, right now there is no apostrophe, but maybe in a chapter that will change again T_T)"


For possesive plurals, you add an apostrophe to the end of the word without the s. So, it would be "[...]arguably the definitive childrens' book."

With words that normally end with an "s" I've seen rules going two ways. Let's take the word "boss." [b]I've[/b] always done it with an apostrophy-"s". "That's the boss's room." However, it seems that some don't add the "s." "That's the boss' room." It's the same with names. I say, "That's Tomas's room," but others say, "That's Tomas' room." For me, any time I would add the "-es" to the end of the word, it comes with an apostrophy-"s." When I talk about the room that belongs to Tomas, I wouldn't say "That's Tomas room," because that seems like I'm talking about a room called Tomas or something equally silly.

'Course, I'm a computer science major and an Arkansan, so you might wish to defer to someone a bit more invested in grammar. Saying "if i greater than three break" makes perfect sense to me, so... yeah.

This is an incredibly interesting project, and I hope it goes well for you.

2 Things. Firstly regarding your sentence...clearly the error must be obvious!!! NO-ONE would EVER consider eating bacon and ice cream cake!

2ndly... "Children's" gives an ownership to the children.
"Childrens" means there are plural (some) children.

As with the name.. Jesus will always love us, or for the ownership....1965 primary school grammar... Jesus' love for us is forever.

"Firstly regarding your sentence...clearly the error must be obvious!!! NO-ONE would EVER consider eating bacon and ice cream cake!"

No, of course not.

They would eat Bacon and Chocolate Chip Cookies with Maple Cinnamon Glaze. Duh.

If we analyse the sentence in the sense of English Grammar:

There are two “possible” grammar errors here:

First of all, when we mention an object for the first time we use “a’ or “an” depending on the first letter of the word.

For example: an egg -> e is one of the five vowels (i, o, u, a, e)
a car -> c is a consonant

When we mention that “object” again we use “the” indicating the specific object.

“Chris enthusiastically consumed the delicious bacon and ice cream cheese cake!”

Chris enthusiastically consumed a delicious bacon and an ice cream cheese cake.

Secondly of all, exclamational mark isn’t used appropriately in this sentence. It’s usually used in expressing feelings.

For example: OMG! Help!

If we analyse the sentence in "common" sense, then refer to Anna's comment. But based on what we define a "common sense", especially when it comes to one's taste.

I know a guy who loves to each a sandwich that has Apricot Jam, Chilli Paste, Sardines and Cheese. He said it tastes like an Indian Curry. --> Erh Yuck !

Edit to wrong grammar:

He said it tasted like an Indian Curry (~_^)

Consider this sentence: "A dog is brown."

The subject of the sentence, "a dog", could be any dog. When it is unclear what object, or in this case dog, you are talking about, you know you are using an indefinate article. In English, the indefinate articles are "a" and "an."

Consider this sentence: "The dog is brown."

The subject of the sentence, "the dog", refers to a specific dog. That's because the word "the" is a definate article. In English, "the" is the only definate article.

Consider this sentence: "That dog is brown."

The subject of the sentence, "that dog", refers to a very specific dog. Particular articles are a type of definate articles, and they are even more specific than regular definate articles! In English, the particular articles are "these," "those," "this," and "that."

Consider this sentence: "My dog is brown."

The subject of the sentence, "my dog", refers to a dog owned by a specific person. Possessive articles are a way of showing the owner of something. In English, the possessive articles are "my," "your," "their," "our," "his,"and "her."

I forgot to provide the reference link which was the source of my previous comment. So here it is

Articles in English:

http://library.thinkquest.org/18783/lecon2.html

/me sweeps in and steals a slice of Chris's yummy bacon and ice cream cheese cake!

~this post is brought to you by the Defenders of Desserts who will someday save the world one dessert at a time~

Post a Comment

Infinite State Automaton is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.