Home | Oh, it's on now. » | A strange dream » | u_u;; » | Myspace? I'd rather eat...MySteaks... » | The first day of the rest of your life » | WTB non-exploding TV, PST... » | La-la-la-la-lasagne! » | In the desert you can remember your name » | Sticks and Stones » | Final Battle Between Good and Evil » 

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 

Girl germs

I've had a bad evening on my assignment. I am baffled by a small bug; when I resize the screen the shapes are supposed to scale (increase in size/decrease in size to match), and sometimes they do. But most of the time, they stretch and warp. If the shape is rectangular, my spheres look like squashed tennis balls.

It may not be my fault. I downloaded a couple of other programs that were supposed to be flawless and ran the same test; it's the same effect. It's possible my video card can't handle this version of OpenGl I am supposed to be using. But I don't know for sure.

So I skipped this step (I have also skipped the transform step) and moved on to the user interface. I ripped the code from my work and spent the last half hour plugging it in to the new code, then when it dinged 11 pm I went to play Warcraft. Every second Tuesday night, World of Warcraft is turned off so the servers can get maintainence and some down time. Somehow, it always catches me by surprise. Ah well. So I am ranting on my blog for 20 minutes, then going back to coding. All the extra time I put in justifies going to the gym tomorrow after all. Damn :)

At the moment I can still get 90% of the marks so it is not a tragedy, I will just move on to a different step each night. I am currently on 60%, and every feature I get working from now on adds +5%. I managed to work out what they were asking in the transforms section, but I was unable to get it to work. I don't know why. I still didn't hear back from my lecturer on it, maybe he's not back from holidays. Maybe I just won't hear from him. Provided I don't run in to more than three OH NOES situations, I should still pass.

My decision was not to get in to a relationship until after I had finished studying. That did not change. It's only one more week, right? Some young lady has been checking her calendar or something. I didn't say anything to her since July last year, so this was out of the blue. Awkward phone conversation!
Girl: "Hi, how are you?"
Sky: "Oh, good thanks!"
Girl: "I haven't seen you in ages. Are you busy in the evening next week?"
Sky: "Ha no, I don't have any plans, I usually just play warcraft or something."
Girl: "Oh, you must not have a girlfriend."
Sky: "Yeah, that's right, because I-"
Girl: "Ok so lets meet up for dinner on *rattles off time, day, location* See you then bye" *click*
Sky: "..."

I'm not interested in this girl at all, and I will maintain that I am not good boyfriend material right now. Hey girls! I am not tidy or clean! I have repressed issues! I play with small model tanks and hang around with nerds! I watch cartoons for girls! I have poor dress sense! I don't know how to dance! Seriously, avoid. You don't want this.

Well, sometime soon from now, maybe. I know this girl is looking for a relationship because she has said it to me before. I've gone to great pains not to flirt with women (since I am not on the market so to speak) since I made this decision. Sometimes I fail. But I never flirted with this girl so I am confused as to why she is interested in me.

Somehow I want to get more experience spending time with/understanding women in a relationship sense but I don't know how to go about it. It's not like I can go up to some girl and say "Hey, I'm not interested in a relationship with you but I want some practice. Can I buy you dinner? How about a car?" *pulls out toy car from pocket* Ha, yeah. Oh, but when I was dating Rachel, she got me to read those Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus books. Kind of helpful, but sometimes I wonder if it did more damage than good.

Really, I don't know what to do. There are some other reasons I am not interested in dating right now, but the not being good boyfriend material is the easiest one to explain without hurting feelings.

Work is going well. Today I found out the result of the demonstration.
I don't understand the make-up of the research facility very well. I thought that Stephen had absolute authority over everything, but apparently we are actually funded by the government (or atleast the project I am working on is Government funded). The man who came to watch the project is from the driving committee that decide which projects get money, and which ones do not.

From June 2007, the project I was working on had been marked to be scrapped. After seeing my demonstration, it's being federally funded again.

Yesssss...

I am being paid the maximum amount that I can get for my qualifications. Today I found out that as soon as I graduate, I will be promoted to reflect my qualifications, and then a second promotion immediately after that because the Director was really, really happy with the demonstration.

I don't care if it will be any significant pay difference but I am just elated to get a double promotion. After five years of Games Workshop, after four years of Donut King, I NEVER got a promotion. There was nothing, IS nothing for me to show for those nine years of net work. And now, nine months in to this job, I got two promotions. I made over a million donuts for no difference. I wrote maybe a couple thousand lines of code and made more impact on this world than I ever did before.

Very sobering.

Well if they say the terrible spaghetti hack that I used, the game is over. But if it's stupid, and it works...ah...is it still stupid? >.>;;

Insects: Since deciding on their extermination, I have been keeping a closer eye on their behaviour. There are two different types. A long type that DOES look like a cockroach, and a short fat type that looks like...umm...I don't know. I'll take a photo of them (thanks mum!). I've watched where they like to live, and I've also noticed odd little black dots that look like eggs. When I go shopping on Thursday, I'll grab some roach traps and pop them down in the frequented areas. I plan to spend most of next week scouring the house and cleaning it up. So, if I start to see little roach eggs/poop in some places after I've cleaned it, it will let me know of any bases that I missed.

Ah well I should get back to coding. Bye bye!

Infinite State Automaton is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.