Home | Graduation! » | The wind of change » | Helper Cat and Paladin Azrael » | To Kill a Mockingbird » | Primary Mission Accomplished » | The difference between boys and girls » | Sky_Pirate » | It's time to conquer earth » | Faith and Duty » | Together to Victory » 

Thursday, April 10, 2008 

Urrrrrrg

I meant to write something here earlier, and really, there is a lot that I could and should put up. But I feel sick today. Symptoms are - dizzy, feeling nausea, lethargy.

Anh; I read your comments that you made a few days ago, and I appreciated what you had to say. You are always welcome to write here, even if you disagree with what I say. From conflict, comes learning ^_^

I found out the reason I was unable to save money and have taken steps to rectify it.

Gym: There was a new situation in my life that meant that some of the things I planned did not occur. I intend to pick this up again next week.

Food: This was pretty good with some fails. Last night I cooked dinner again (maybe that is why I feel sick now >.>) but the major win was that I went shopping and bought food for two weeks rather than my usual 5 minutes notice thing. It's lucky because my younger brother will be staying for a few days and I know all my food will disappear.

I did not make much progress in work this week. I have been worrying about some other things and had some trouble concentrating. Also I am being continually distracted at work by a co-worker who is very passionate about a game and continues to bug me about it.

I don't feel so good so I think Ill leave it here for now.

oh right

I have been talking with the new president of the Golden Key chapter here. The old president is the one who gave me such trouble and said things to the group like "We don't want Chris as a president, he has an unglamorous job and it reflects poorly on us". This is off the back of one of the old executive seeking me out to complain about the old leadership. She said that after I left, most of the structure I had established was immediately changed.

The Chapter I had built was based around small groups that focused on tasks that were interesting to them; an individual from each group would then meet with other group leads and once every three or four weeks we would meet up and have an executive meeting. This encouraged largely autonomous group participation and meant people with varied schedules could still engage in the running of the Chapter - nobody was left behind. I recognised that people had different schedules and that a single mother who was studying had different time needs than a student in their teens with little responsibility.

This structure worked well; the main feature was that LOTS of people could join in and there was room for them to pursue their own goals - one person was interested in art, so organised students in her field to meet up with local artists, for example.

However after I left the new president had her own agenda and cancelled all of this thing. She molded it into only benefitting the people in her career choice, and her partner. My friend said to me that I made the Chapter into a friendly, group oriented architecture, where the focus was on mutual support. She said that she was touched that I made the time to seek out people who couldn't be involved as much and supported others who were trying new things.

But the person who replaced me made it in to a business like thing. If you could not meet the schedule of this person, well too bad! You could not participate in the group. My friend said many people had left the executive because they could not meet the demands of this president. This person said that she felt decieved; the purpose of the society had become subverted. Golden Key's premise is simple - those who are fortunate and successful have a duty to care for those who do not have the same advantages that we do. Specifically, not every body has access to the same level of education. We recognise that a person who could not attend classes because they have other responsibilities such as families or work should not be abandoned.

However the chapter had become a self service thing. Instead of using pooled abilities to help others, it was now using others support to promote the leadership group. My friend felt guilty approaching new members to recruit them because she felt they would be used by the leadership and discarded once they were used up. The same people were the ones to always 'win' the free trips to the conferences - the chapter had essentially become a fundraiser to pay for the President and her partner to fly overseas.

That is what I was told. Is it true? I desperately hope not. But, I already saw the start of this when I left. So reluctantly, I have to believe at least some of it.

As I am a graduate, I can't fulfill an executive role. But...in 2006 I was five votes away of being the leader for the entire Asia-Pacific region. The society has great potential for helping others. I am interested in rejoining - the president asked me to help out at some events, so.

It can't hurt to go along and find out for myself the situation, right?

Of course not my friend. You should definitely go and find out yourself what really the situation is. That's how you learn about truth.

Also this may be a chance for you to show them your capabilities and there can be a good chance to be the President again. Who knows! Or at least be helpful to help others who are in need of help.

Post a Comment

Infinite State Automaton is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.