Home | Left Behind » | Make it so » | Girl germs » | Oh, it's on now. » | A strange dream » | u_u;; » | Myspace? I'd rather eat...MySteaks... » | The first day of the rest of your life » | WTB non-exploding TV, PST... » | La-la-la-la-lasagne! » 

Sunday, January 20, 2008 

Last throw of the dice

I'm exhausted.

I submitted the assignment. It looks good. There were some parts that didn't work. I never did find out why I couldn't touch or read from the matrix stack, the foundation of all OpenGL functions. But I had many successes, too. Textures. Lighting. Animation. Colours, materials, controls...all of it was there in some way or another.

Like the camera from the other assignment, the matrixes were crucial to this one. The relationship wasn't quite so dependant, but not having the operations I needed to do meant that I was forced to hand calculate a lot of the math and write up the code. I wasted a lot of time. Whereas all the other students could go:
gl.glMultMatrix(some matrix)
To do everything, I had to keep track of every camera movement and backtrack them. It added considerable overhead because not only did I have to track what was going on, I had to notify each part of the system each time a change was made, and in changing a part of the system I had to notify the rest of the system that such a change was made. It went around in a big circle. It's terrible, terrible programming.

But it works. Dammit, it works.

But is it good enough?

I didn't do everything I wanted to.

Somehow, even though I budgetted so much time for this, I still ran out in the end. I wonder why? It's not that I didn't stick to my schedule. Somehow, the time I had at the start seemed to go past without me really achieving anything. In this last week I almost doubled my work output. If I could somehow reach in to the future and pull out these quality hours, then I would have this problem again.

I wanted to finish well. Not like this. Not just barely sliding in to the finish line, and maybe not even making it.

Now, I am done. I am worn out, exhausted, burned. I have put off a lot of things to get my work done, and now it is done, I don't know what to do. I need to reorder my life.

But not today. Today, I need to relax and unwind. Tomorrow, I will start again.

I'll see you then.

Infinite State Automaton is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.